For many people headaches are an accepted weekly or fortnightly experience however regular headaches that last for a few days or occur fortnightly indicate that there is something out of balance within your body. The good news is that this doesn't have to be the case.
Headaches occur for many reasons including postural stress, hormonal imbalance, and stress. So what are some simple things you can do to avoid them or minimise them:
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration will lead to headaches.
- Get your desk ergonomically assessed to help minimise poor posture, one of the major causes of headaches.
- Do some gentle neck stretches or simply move your head around in gentle circles. The movement in your neck will help it to relax and bring blood flow into the area.
- Carry an amethyst, a beautiful stone known for assisting people with headaches.
- According to Louise Hay, headaches may be the result of self-criticism or fear...if that is true for you try working with affirmations on a daily basis. Something like "I love and approve of myself. I am safe"
- In cold weather wear a scarf to keep your neck muscles nice and warm.
- Take care of yourself from a physical and emotional stress perspective with:
- Massage is great to manage regular headaches from a physical perspective. After a few treatments close together most of our clients find that they either don't have headaches between visits and if they do they are less intense and don't last as long. At this point clients will extend their time between visits to once a month.
- Acupuncture can really assist from a hormonal perspective by encouraging the release of endorphins in the body, which are a natural painkillers and mood-boosters.
- Healing Fusion to address both the physical symptoms and the emotional stress in the one treatment
- Hypnotherapy and Reiki are wonderful for managing emotional stress by clearing energy and releasing negative thought processes that lead to stress.
So if you experience headaches on a regular basis, make the decision to address the underlying factors and see what life is like headache free. After all you only have to lose the headaches.